WSET Level 2 Award in Wines and Spirits
The WSET Level 2 course is for those with a very basic understanding of wine and spirits who want to develop their knowledge. It is an important qualification for those working or seeking to work in the wine or hospitality industry who require a sound general level of knowledge about wine and spirits. It is also suitable for wine enthusiasts who want to learn about wine using a more structured programme and formal assessment. Completing the WSET Level 2 will: enable individuals to interpret the labels of the major wines and spirits available across the world; understand the principles of wine tasting; and give basic guidance on the selection and serving of wine.
On completion of the course candidates will be able to show:
- Wine tasting: Taste and describe wines using the WSET Systematic Approach to Tasting
- Food and wine pairing: A guide to the key considerations when matching food and wine
- Wine Service and storage: Learn the correct way to store and serve wine and recognise common wine faults
- Social responsibility: A guide to sensible drinking
- Labelling: decode and understand wine labels
- Factors influencing the Style of Wine: Grape variety, environment, grape growing, winemaking and maturation
- Grape Varieties: The styles of wines produced by the key international and regionally important grape varieties
- Key wine-producing regions of the world
Please visit the WSET website to view the full specification and course coverage, or download it with your pdf browser viewer here: level 2-wines-specification
NOTE: You do not need to have completed level 1 in order to book a place on the WSET Level 2 course.
WSET Level 2 Award in Wines and Spirits Course Dates:
Venue: Fownes Hotel, City Walls Road, Worcester
- Mondays (8 sessions) from Monday 4th June to Monday 23rd July, 7:00pm – 9:15pm
Fully inclusive cost: £360.00
Course cost: £360
Duration: 3 full days ( 9:30 – 5:30pm) or 8 x evenings (7:00-9:15pm)
The course fee covers :
- WSET study pack
- Examination fees
- Course led by a WSET qualified tutor
- Internationally recognised WSET qualification certificate
- Tasting of approximately 36 wines
- Lunch included for full day courses
The award also requires approximately 16 hours of private study which of which will be advised by your tutor. Some of this may be done before the start of the course.
The Level 2 Award is assessed by a 1 hour examination paper comprising with 50 multiple-choice questions. A mark of 55% is needed to pass the exam. The exam is included in the dates and times of the course.